top of page

Krafton Defends Subnautica 2 Delay Amid Lawsuit: “Fans Are at the Center of Every Decision”

PUBG game character in a futuristic helmet, dark jacket, with an inset of a character from Subnautica 2 in a vibrant suit holding a tool. "KRAFTON" text below. Sci-fi theme.
Image Credit: PUBG/Krafton/Subnautica 2

In a fresh twist to the ongoing drama surrounding Subnautica 2, Krafton Inc. has officially spoken out, saying its recent development decisions were made with one core mission in mind: protecting fans and securing the long-term success of the franchise.


On Saturday, the South Korean publisher told Yonhap News that delaying Subnautica 2 was necessary to avoid launching a game that would feel unfinished or fall short of expectations. In a statement, Krafton said, “Releasing the game prematurely with insufficient content, falling short of what fans expect in a sequel, would have both disappointed the players — who are at the heart of everything Krafton does — and damaged the reputations of both the Subnautica and Unknown Worlds brands.”


The company further emphasized that the decision was “made to ensure Subnautica 2 is the best possible game and lives up to fan expectations.”


This statement comes as Krafton finds itself entangled in a legal showdown with the former leadership of Unknown Worlds, the U.S.-based studio it acquired in October 2021. At the time of acquisition, Krafton praised the team for its innovative IP and its knack for building globally appealing, community-driven experiences — a sentiment that now feels a bit strained.


Just earlier this month, Krafton removed Unknown Worlds’ co-founders Charlie Cleveland and Max McGuire, along with CEO Ted Gill, citing leadership issues and developmental delays as the reason behind the shake-up. But that wasn’t the end of it.


Shortly after their removal, the trio filed a lawsuit against Krafton, accusing the publisher of breach of contract. According to their claim, Krafton delayed the game to intentionally avoid issuing a massive $250 million bonus payout tied to hitting 2025 revenue targets. They allege the company used "pressure tactics" to enforce the delay.


Krafton, however, pushed back firmly against the accusation. “While we are disappointed that Charlie, Max, and Ted have filed a lawsuit seeking a huge payout, we look forward to defending ourselves in court,” the company said. “In the meantime, Krafton remains focused on what matters: delivering the best possible game as quickly as possible to Subnautica’s fans.”


This corporate back-and-forth hasn’t gone unnoticed by the community. The public dispute has triggered growing concern among longtime Subnautica fans — some even suggesting a boycott of the sequel due to fears that the game's creative direction is being compromised.


Despite the noise, Krafton is sticking to its message. In a closing remark, the publisher reiterated, “Fans are always at the center of every decision we make,” promising to reward their patience with a “refined and outstanding gameplay experience.”

Comments


bottom of page