top of page

Kentucky Sues Roblox Over Charlie Kirk ‘Assassination Simulators’ and Child Safety Failures

Kentucky Attorney General Russell Coleman has filed a lawsuit against Roblox, accusing the online gaming giant of allowing child predators to freely operate on its platform and exposing young users to explicit and violent content, including simulated depictions of conservative activist Charlie Kirk’s assassination.


Kentucky Sues Roblox Over Charlie Kirk ‘Assassination Simulators’ and Child Safety Failures. Image by Gaming Amigos.

According to the 68-page lawsuit filed Monday in Madison Circuit Court, Coleman’s office alleges that Roblox has become a “hunting ground for child predators” due to inadequate safety measures and lax age verification protocols.


The filing claims the platform, which hosts more than 111 million monthly active users, allows predators to pose as children, gain victims’ trust, and sometimes lure them into real-world encounters.


The lawsuit describes Roblox as “an online environment in which child predators thrive,” arguing that its current systems fail to prevent sexual exploitation, grooming, and trafficking.


Coleman’s office also criticized the company for prioritizing profit over child safety, saying Roblox has “ignored this crisis so it could continue turning a profit.”


Prosecutors cited the latest incident where Charlie Kirk assassination simulators surfaced on the platform following the Turning Point USA co-founder’s death last month at a Utah Valley University event. These user-generated games reportedly allowed children “as young as five years old” to witness animated, bloody depictions of the September 10 shooting.


The lawsuit claims Roblox has facilitated exposure to graphic, violent, and sexual material, affecting millions of minors. Two-thirds of U.S. children between the ages of 9 and 12 are estimated to play Roblox, making the alleged lapses particularly alarming for parents and lawmakers alike.


Parents Speak Out

At a press conference alongside Coleman, Kentucky mother of three Courtney Norris shared her experience, saying she once viewed Roblox as a harmless creative outlet for her children. “I came to realize, later than I would like to admit, that it actually is the ‘Wild West’ of the internet, targeted at children,” Norris said, urging parents to be more vigilant about online safety.


Coleman has called for stronger age verification systems, content moderation tools, and parental control options.


Pattern of Legal Action Across States

This lawsuit adds to a growing wave of legal scrutiny surrounding Roblox’s child safety practices. In recent months, Louisiana and Iowa have filed similar lawsuits against the company, both alleging that predators used the platform to target, groom, and in some cases, traffic minors.


A North Carolina mother also filed a separate suit in August, claiming a predator used Roblox’s virtual currency, Robux, to exploit her daughter by offering in-game rewards in exchange for explicit photos.


Roblox Responds to Allegations

In response to the mounting accusations, Roblox Corporation has defended its safety measures, emphasizing its commitment to user protection. “We have rigorous safety measures in place from advanced AI models to an expertly trained team of thousands moderating our platform 24/7 for inappropriate content,” the company said in a statement.


The company acknowledged that “no system is perfect,” but stated that it continues to improve its moderation and verification technology. Roblox claims to have implemented over 100 new safety initiatives in 2025, including facial age estimation and a new ID-based verification system that compares government-issued IDs with selfies to verify user age.

Comments


bottom of page